Thursday, February 24, 2011

The first time I ever tasted the Heitz Cellar Martha's Vineyard was in the early 1970's when I served a bottled of the 1967 to my folks at Thanksgiving dinner (so long ago). I had ventured up to the Napa Valley and bought this bottle for a white-haired gentleman at the tasting room on highway 29 in St. Helena. Young and learning, I took his word to heart, when he told me, "Young man, if you want a treat, then buy the 1967 and serve it a few years from now with roast turkey on Thanksgiving.

When I uncorked the wine, I was so very excited and got everyone in my family ready to enjoy. We enjoyed a great family meal, ate the turkey and drank the wine. Funny, I don't remember much about the wine, but I saw the wine disappear as the night progressed. Funny how great times with family go well with fine food and special wines.

Today, I tasted the newly released 2006 Heitz Cellar Martha's Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. Wow, what a wonderful, young wine. Shows precision flavors of black currants with an accent of mint. Long and rewarding on the palate with much of the same and perhaps a hint of leather. Way young now, but already showing its seductive qualities. Hmm, now I sound like a "geek." Perhaps I should return a few decades and just remember how much I enjoyed drinking the 1967 Martha's with my family. Sigh, that was such a long time ago...but the memory (no matter how blurry) still remains with me today. The 2006 is quite a special wine and perfect for building memories still to be written.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment